500 ml of Water and a Chicken Burrito
That and some candy bar crumbs were all Aron Ralston had with him when he wedged his arm in a canyon in Utah for five days. This burrito has a little more grunt than the Patio that sustained him. It’s packed with stuff worth living for; guacamole, chilli and even a little hint of chocolate in the sauce. It’s a sturdy thing, so trying to cut it with a blunt knife can be tricky. Though not nearly as tricky as self amputation. If you’re eating this while watching the film, it’s probably best to try and have it finished by half way through. From that point on you’re not going to feel much like eating at all.
Chicken Chipotle Burritos
Makes 2 burritos
Half a pound (225 grams) of skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips.
1 red onion cut into slivers
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp fresh cilantro stems, finely diced
1 teaspoon of chipotle chilli purée
2 small pieces of dark chocolate
Black beans (1 tbsp for each burrito)
Guacamole (1 tbs for each burrito)
Sour cream (1 tsp for each burrito)
Grated cheese (1 tbsp for each burrito)
Chopped chilli (1 tsp for each burrito)
Baby spinach or lettuce (small handful for each burrito)
Here’s how we roll
1. Make the chipotle chilli purée by splitting the chilli and shaking the seeds out. Dry toast it in a pan until it smells nutty. Then steep it in just boiled water for 15 minutes. Purée it and set aside.
2. Toast the spices in a dry frying pan. Add a tablespoon of olive oil and the chicken and sauté the chicken strips.
3. In a separate fry pan, gently cook the onions in a tablespoon of olive oil until they wilt and soften.
4. Add the softened onions to the cooked chicken. Add a teaspoon of the chipotle purée, 2 small squares of dark chocolate and the cilantro stems. Cook over a gentle heat until everything has combined.
5. Assemble the burrito; lay in the centre of the tortilla the greens, black beans, chicken, a handful of grated cheese, a squirt of sour cream, diced chilli and a thwack of guacamole (made with mashed avocado, lime juice and cilantro leaves).
6. Wrap the burrito tightly in foil, tucking in the ends. Toast it in a toasted sandwich press or in 180C or 350F oven for 10 minutes.
7. To serve, cut in half with a sharp knife.
A forequarter of lamb? Chicken wings with sharp knives? How crass can we get with these?
See the rest of the Oscars Feast
Inception Layered Cocktails with Jellied Dice